Friday, August 01, 2008

The Constant

Throughout my life, I've been obsessed with skateboarding, rock climbing, snowboarding, long-distance trail running and so on. But since the age of 5 or so, cycling has always been there for me (except for the moped years - we won't talk about that for now).

The simple act of riding bikes has and hopefully will continue to provide me with transportation, fitness, fun and competition until my body fails me.

Even though I've been at it for about 40 years now, I still look forward to my early morning rides and any excuse to run an errand by bike.

Yes I have lost speed over the years, but I still can go the distance when push comes to shove.

Growing old with the bike is a nice way to age.

2 comments:

Jerome said...

Very, very nicely put.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I share your same love. Cycling has changed my life, and has tought me more things about myself than anything else. I've been off my road bike for a pretty good while, due to medical issues, but I start some light spinning this week! Yay!