Friday, July 11, 2008

I Gave It My All (Part Two)

Friday - 6:45 am

3 riders - coming up fast on my rear.

This time I play it cool.

I let the 3 rides glide pass me. The last one says to me, "Hop on." I say, "Thanks, but I'm fine."

[It's better to chase than to be chased.]

I lose visual contact, but I pedal hard to stay within striking distance.

As I head into the rollers, I see the 3 guys about 1/4 mile up the road. I decided it's time to take care of business.

I'm flying up and down the rollers on the drops - M. P. style.

I finally catch up after a stout effort; they look surprised since they thought they dropped me miles ago.

I say hi and keep on pedaling hard.

The 3 guys are chasing me like a rabbit on a greyhound track.

I'm in pain; asthma is kicking in; my stomach hurts like heck.

But I kept pushing it. I'm not giving up this time.

They catch me on the last hill & we all hit the traffic light at the same time.

We rode for a bit (really nice guys) & then said our goodbyes.

So, what's the lesson here:

ATTACK where you are the strongest & don't give up the fight.

1 comment:

the original big ring said...

Whoot!
Me and my partner spanked a lot of 'faster riders' while out in BC in the single track. These guys put damage on us on the fire road climbs, but when we hit the technical, rooty & rocky single track - we let loose. Nothing more fun than passing a guy who's taking the easy line around a skinny and you call "Left" on him while riding the 6" skinny.
Make your move where you're strongest indeed!
Cheers!